According to the US Fire Administration, it takes less than 30 seconds for a small flame to burn completely out of control and turn into a major fire. A home can fill with thick, black smoke and become engulfed in flames in minutes. During an emergency, especially in the case of fire, it’s important for occupants to be able to exit, and emergency personnel to enter — as quickly as possible!
- Keep hallways clear of obstructions
- Do not block or obstruct emergency escape windows and exit doors
- Make sure everyone knows how to unlock and open windows and doors
- Be sure window security bars release from inside
- Develop and practice a fire escape plan