One of the most common causes for electrical fires and electrocutions at home are worn out or faulty outlets. Inspect electrical outlets for damage
or deterioration; make certain the covers are intact and there aren’t any exposed wires or gaps between the outlet and the wall. Cracks or holes should be replaced or repaired immediately.
Never plug more than two appliances into one outlet or “piggyback” appliances on extension cords or wall outlets. Major appliances should be plugged directly into the wall outlet (not extension cord) as they are heavy power users (refrigerators, stoves, air conditioners, etc.).Call a licensed electrician or your landlord immediately if you experience any of the following:
- Flickering lights
- Circuit breakers trip or fuses blow often
- Crackling, buzzing or sizzling is heard from outlets
- Cords are warm to the touch